Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Quality of University Speakers

  1. #1
    Inactive Member Sounder's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 5th, 2006
    Posts
    83
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Do any specification sheets exist for the 12 and 15 inch 3-way diffaxial University speakers (Models 6303 and 312, respectively)? Are they considered even comparable to the Altec line or are they primarily for PA systems?

    I have a set of each and will be making 2 sets of speakers for friends over the next couple weeks. They seem to be nicely constructed but I am wondering if I am wasting my time putting them into oak cabinets. Maybe pine would be more appropriate.

    Thanks to everyone. You guys are real pros in this area and I do value your opinions.

    John

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Quality of University Speakers


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    University was a seperate company prior to Altec buying it. I would not consider the University units comparable to Altecs at all. The were less expensive units.


    They were intended as hi fi speakers. In a comparison to , say, Electro Voice they come off well. that was more their intended market.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member boltupright's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 5th, 2003
    Posts
    179
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    A pair of University 312's in EV aristocrat cabinets are very very nice sounding speakers indeed.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Sounder's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 5th, 2006
    Posts
    83
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks OG and BU. I always value your comments. Based on what you said, I will probably construct some Stonehenge V, oak cabs for the 6303s and some smaller ones for the 312s. This will be good practice for when I get real Altecs someday.

    Best regards, John.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.